OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2009

Date:
Fri, 3 Jul 2009 17:43:44 -0400
Linda and I decided to take advantage of the nice weather and beat the July 4th crush. We started with a visit to Blue Creek Preserve, a Delaware County Preservation Park located off Fontanelle Road near Ostrander. Blue Creek Preserve is a gem I the rough. It combines multiple habitats within its 139 acres, including grasslands, forest, wetlands, riparian creek and more. Some of the species we observed this morning were Red-shouldered Hawk, Willow Flycatcher, Eastern Kingbird, Brown Thrasher, Yellow Warbler, Common Yellowthroat (they were everywhere), Yellow-breasted Chat (on territory), Grasshopper Sparrow, Indigo Bunting, Orchard Oriole, and Baltimore Oriole.

We next headed south to visit Glacier Ridge Metro Park located off Hyland Croy Road in Union County. Although it was 1:30 went we arrived at the park there was ample activity to keep us occupied. We walked the Savannah Trail and then made a quick stop at the Honda Wetland Education Area. Some of the species we observed at Glacier Ridge were a Red-tailed Hawk with a snake I its talons, Killdeer, Spotted Sandpipers, Eastern Kingbird, Horned Lark, Yellow Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, Grasshopper Sparrow, Dickcissel, Bobolink, and Eastern Meadowlark.

Everyone have a safe and enjoyable Independence Day and good birding.

Charlie Bombaci