OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

From:
Bob Hinkle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Hinkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 2009 11:37:51 -0400
Actually, Jen, I've done some study over the years of why some people are
active in the outdoors, and others aren't, regardless of ethnicity or where
they live.

We've found that in general - noting that there are always exceptions - most
people who are active in some phase of outdoor recreation (birding, hiking,
camping, boating, kayaking, skiing, etc.) usually have had either (1) family
members or a mentor who was  active and took them along; or (2) had a
natural area to play in and feel comfortable with (nearly park, woods,
fields, "undeveloped" space, etc.) when they were children. Many people of
color have had neither, thus their feeling of detachment from nature.

One interesting exception is fishing. Many people of color, even in urban
areas, are active in fishing and will travel to fish. Their grandparents and
parents fished, and they do too - for recreation as well as for food, like
most fisher-folks of any ethnicity do. Here in Cleveland Metroparks, it has
always been one of the most active outdoor sports enjoyed by visitors of
color, now followed closely by wellness walking in many reservations.

It has caused us to redefine our use of the word "urban". We now describe
"urban" as areas with limited or no access to nature. That would include
many areas others now define as "suburban" and has nothing to do with human
demographics.

There is a very interesting book by nature photographer Dudley Edmondson
called "Black and Brown Faces in America's Wild Places" that highlights the
thoughts and experiences of 20 African-American outdoorsmen, including a
bird watcher, mountaineer and wildlife biologist. Good reading.

In a series of focus groups we did a few years ago, we asked minority
invitees why they weren't more involved in nature parks and refuges. We
thought they would respond "...because of transportation issues."  They
replied that there is plenty of transportation available, either private or
public. The real issue, they said, ".... is that we don't know what to do
once we get there."

Demographers tell us that in less than 50 years, the "white folks" you
mention will be the minority population in the United States. Those who love
nature and want it to flourish for future generations had better be in the
business of involving people of color in their friendships, field trips,
birding conferences and other events pretty soon.

Cheers... Bob

Bob Hinkle
Chief, Division of Outdoor Education
Cleveland Metroparks