OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:59:45 -0400
Late this afternoon I checked out the impoundments along the walking trails
in the eastern section of Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge (Ottawa Co., n.w.
Ohio, one of the field trip sites for the Midwest Birding Symposium).  Water
levels are high in MS 8b and Pool 2c, but Pool 2b had good numbers and
variety of shorebirds and some good ones were in 2a also.  In 2b, the best
open flats and shallows are along the west side, the south-central area, and
the northernmost area (the pool is roughly pentagon-shaped, with the "extra"
corner pointing north; see our birding map for clarification).  Notable
among the 12 species of shorebirds here were a beautiful juv. Baird's
Sandpiper, molting adult White-rumped Sandpiper, three well-marked juv.
Western Sandpipers, and nine juv. Long-billed Dowitchers (studied at length
and heard calling).  This pool also had 23 Snowy Egrets, an excellent count
for anywhere in Ohio, and a decent variety of ducks, including Am. Wigeon,
Gadwall, Blue-winged and Green-winged Teal, and N. Shoveler.

The adjacent eastern end of Pool 2a added two juv. Short-billed Dowitchers
associating with a juv. Long-billed, plus eight juv. Stilt Sandpipers, many
yellowlegs, and more ducks.

From the parking lot to the southwest corner of Pool 2b is at least a mile's
walk, and a scope is almost essential for decent views, so be prepared for a
substantial hike.  With the strong wind this afternoon I encountered no
mosquitoes but I'd be willing to bet they'll be out again when the wind dies
down.

For finding the pools and trails mentioned here, see the Black Swamp Bird
Observatory's birding map of the eastern (trails) section of the refuge --
go to http://www.bsbo.org/birding/  and follow the links for "Birding
hotspots: directions and maps."   If you're unfamiliar with the area, it
would be a good idea to print out a copy of the map and take it with you.
The BSBO website will also have updates on current conditions at all the
local birding sites during this weekend's Midwest Birding Symposium.  It's
rumored that there are other shorebirds, including phalaropes and
Buff-breasted Sandpipers, along the Ottawa NWR auto tour (which will be open
on Saturday), but I'll know more after tomorrow.

Kenn Kaufman
Black Swamp Bird Observatory