OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Sep 2009 00:07:45 +0000
I went to Wildwood State Park around 9am this morning but should of been there at 7am as there were some warblers.  When the rains started at 10am after awhile I had to wait it out in the car til the rain stopped at 11am.  This is when the best birds were seen today.  I started out again south of the Bathhouse where there were more warblers.  Then I went over to the area that comes out of the woods (near two picnic tables) closer to the Euclid Beach fenceline and the trees were just full of warblers coming in near lake.  The large white pine 50 ft from Euclid Beach fence had Blackburnian, Palm Warblers etc.  All the trees all around were full of warblers.  After awhile the bulk of them disappeared but some could be found further in the park.  I left at 12:30 when it started to rain and went  to Sims Park.  Went back to Wildwood at 2:00pm and many of the birds were high up in very large trees further into the woods and the lighting
 wasn't real good to ID them.  Later between more rain near the lake between picnic tables & bathhouse area there were at least four Black-throated Greens in a tree at one time.  When I left around 5pm inthe rain the small grassy area that goes out to the lake west of the marina where the fisherman are had trees full of Black-throated Greens, Yellow-rumps and Nashvilles.  Warbler activity was around most of the day if you were in the right places.  I missed many birds today.  Here is what I could ID:

Black-crowned Night-Heron 1 adult
Chimney Swifts 30
Red-bellied Woodpeckers 4-5,
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 2
Northern Flickers 20+
Eastern Wood Pewee  1, many other flycatchers not ID'd
Blue-headed Vireo  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  3
Brown Creepers 3
House Wrens  3, Winter Wren 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  5
Swainsons Thrush  5
Brown Thrashers  4

Warblers:
Nashville  5
Magnolia 7
Cape May  1
Black-throated Blue  1 f
Yellow-rumped  15
Black-throated Green 10
Blackburnian 1 probably more
Palm  2
Bay-breasted  3
Blackpoll  10
Black-and-white  1
American Redstart  5
Common Yellowthroat  2
Wilsons 3
Also, I have one warbler I need help with picture posted on Flickr website.
To me it looks like a young bird not positive on ID - first thought it was young common yellowthroat but I think it could be young Orange-crowned.  It doesn't have eyeline like a Tennessee the color was more subtle like Orange-crowned.

Song Sparrows 5
White-throated Sparrows 15 (many heard also)
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  1 (1st winter male)

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/