Date:
Sun, 23 May 2010 19:13:28 -0400
Today we got the S.S. Hoover back on the water at Hoover Reservoir. With the “Birders On Board” flag waving off the stern we worked our way north along the west shore checking the coves, inlets and appropriate habitat for Prothonotary Warblers. Activity began slowly and then picked up to a stronger pace. We had a bonus when we viewed the Osprey with the natural nest (versus a nesting platform) in the northern portion of the reservoir. There are two pairs of nesting Osprey at Hoover Reservoir in 2010. We crossed to the east shore and worked our way back south finishing with a natural cavity sight with a very cooperative Prothonotary. We floated 10 feet off from the nest tree and enjoyed watching the male come and go bringing material to the cavity. Cameras clicked away and hopefully there will be some good photos for the effort. We located 16 territories during our cruise. Next time out we will be checking the areas to the south of the boat launch. Some of the species of interest are listed below.

Bob Baran has posted with regard to a flight of Whimbrels over the north portion of Hoover Reservoir during the morning. Check his photo at the link he has provided.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve
Species:
Double-crested Cormorant