From:
Kim Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 2 May 2010 07:39:52 -0400
  Hello Everyone,

Normally this time of year I would be writing some post so filled with bird
migration enthusiasm that some people would really get annoyed. However, in
spite of a couple great weekends filled with birds and birders, this year
the mood at Black Swamp Bird Observatory is a bit more somber as we
continue to hear more details about the growing disaster in the Gulf.

To say that this is the Observatory's busiest time of year is an
understatement.  Our songbird and rail research projects are in full swing.
In addition to that, we do our best to try and ensure that the tens of
thousands of birders visiting the Lake Erie Marsh region have a great
experience and learn as much about the importance of conserving bird
habitat as we possibly can.  Keeping up with BSBO's responsibilities is a
full time job --and then some-- this time of year, but I just can't stop
thinking about what we can do to assist with the disaster along the Gulf
Coast. I know this isn't much, but it's just a start.  We'll keep
researching more ways to help and BSBO will pass this information on
through every print and electronic method we have.

I've done my best to research these organizations and agencies, but there
will always be rotten people out there who will take advantage of any
situation just to make a buck.  Please keep that in mind before you make a
donation or give your contact information out to anyone.

As you might expect, The Nature Conservancy is on top of this monster. They
are already fully engaged in relief efforts and I think their blog will be
a great source of information:  http://blog.nature.org/ The International
Bird Rescue Research Center (IBRRC) has been helping birds around the world
since 1971. Its mission is to mitigate human impact on aquatic birds and
other wildlife. This is achieved through rehabilitation, emergency
response, education, research, planning and training.
 The Alabama Coastal Foundation is collecting contact information from
volunteers for cleanup efforts along the Alabama coast should the oil spill
reach the state's shores. Call 251-990-6002
 The Mobile Bay National Estuary Program is looking for volunteers to help
reduce the potential impact of the oil spill in Mobile Bay. Call
251-431-6409.
 The Mobile Baykeeper is asking for contact details of volunteers is
collecting contact information for volunteers to respond anywhere along the
Gulf Coast, if needed. Call 251-433-4229.
Save Our Seabirds is a Florida bird rescue group that is looking for
volunteers and support as its response team prepares to help oiled
wildlife. Call 941-388-3010.

I know that there's a deep sense of trepidation as we wait to see just how
disastrous this monster will be.  But, please don't let this keep you from
getting outside to enjoy spring migration. We all need inspiration in our
lives. I can think of no better way to be inspired to care more about birds
and wildlife than get out and watch these beautiful birds and think about
the arduous journeys they must make each year and the habitat the depend on
for survival.

 Sincerely,

Kimberly Kaufman
Executive Director