From:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2010 16:30:01 -0400
The following is a report by Steve Cardiff on a survey of shore and sea
birds on Gulf islands.  I am forwarding this with Steve's permission because
authoritative information on the impact of the oil spill is almost
impossible to get through the major media.  Steve's report is just one of an
increasing number that are beginning to come in through LSU and the Fish and
Wildlife Service.  I urge interested Ohio birders to subscribe to the
LABIRD-L mailing list to stay informed. The time is coming when there will
be a large scale rehabilitation effort with a similarly large scale need for
volunteers.

I am following this with another forward from Bob and Lucy Duncan, longtime
regional editors for the Gulf coast for North American Birds.  In it, the
Duncans discuss BP's hold on public news releases and the appalling
background on failure of the regulating agencies to carry out their duties,
specifically with respect to endangered species, all referenced to reports
in the public domain.

Bob