Date:
Wed, 19 May 2010 19:47:42 -0400
This afternoon I monitored Area A and Wiese Road at the Hoover Nature Preserve. It proved to be a productive day in more ways than expected. I began at Area N where I restricted my efforts to the old roadbed the runs from Front Street in Galena south to the remains of the old bridge at Big Walnut Creek. Within this short distance I tallied 31 Prothonotary Warblers, 19 males and 12 females. Several other species of warbler were present along the trail and there were Caspian and Common Terns on the boardwalk at Area M and snags protruding out of the water.

I finished by checking Wiese Road. At first glance the clearing done by the utility company under the wires and by the developers working on the Ohio to Erie Bike Trail will put a birder that has been to Wiese Road before into shock. This once was a delightful short trail with an incredible diversity of birds. It has been greatly altered by the aforementioned work. Nesting species will suffer as if they were in the Gulf Oil Spill. The flora along the road has been scalped (the kindest way I can describe it). Work has been stopped for the remainder of the nesting season. Still, I was able to verify at least 5 active Prothonotary Warblers on the reservoir side of the trail. As I was returning to my car at 4:30 PM I hit a small flourish of warblers, topped off by a Connecticut Warbler that was gleaning insects in a honeysuckle bush at the edge of the trail. Other warblers I saw along Wiese Road included Nashville, Yellow, Magnolia, Yellow-rumped, Black-and-white and Common Yellowthroat.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve

Birds observed at Area N and Wiese Road included:
Double-crested Cormorant 6
Great Blue Heron 3
Green Heron 2
Turkey Vulture 5