From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 May 2010 17:22:12 +0000
The weather shift grounded a new mix of migrants around this NW Columbus suburb this morning.  I started in several parks around "Old Dublin":  Kiwanis, Shewan Falls, and Coventry Woods - then moved west to some parks in "New Dublin" - Avery Park and Glacier Ridge (GR) metroPark.  The rain held off enough that I was able to bike around the MultiPurpose Trail in GR.  Migrants were not abundant, but diversity was good, and the species mix was definitely new and 3rd wave.  Highlights included:

Cuckoos - had both species calling out at Glacier Ridge

Flycatchers - lots of Pewees & Crested at all spots, and Acadians in forested areas.  A FOS Yellow-bellied was calling around McKitrick Woods in the MetroPark.  Pairs of E.Kingbirds were on territory at Kiwanis and Glacier RIdge

Vireos - lots of Red-eyed at all locations.  Singing Warbling was at Kiwanis, while Yellow-throateds were singing at two forest patches in Glacier Ridge

Thrushes - unusually scarce.  I had only a few Swainson's and didn't see/hear a Wood Thrush until late in the morning at GR

Warblers - Redstarts were the most common, being present at every stop.  Yellows and Yellowthroats were abundant on territories at GR.  Others included:
Yellow-throated - 1 at ShawanFalls
Magnolia - a few at Kiwanis and GR
Bl.thr.Green - 3 in 2 hrs at GR
Blackpoll - singing birds at CoventryWoods and McKitrickWoods (GR)
Bay-breasted - singing bird at GR
Mourning - singing birds at Kiwanis and Glacier RIdge MP Trail
Canada - singing birds at Kiwanis, CoventryWoods, and Glacier Ridge MP

Tanagers - unusually scarce, with the only singing bird at McKitrickWoods

Sparrows - lots of Grasshopper Sparrows (5-6) singing along the MultiPurpose Trail at GR, while 3 Savannah Sparrows were in the grasslands at the northern end of this same trail.

Bobolinks - 6-8 birds were in the northern grasslands at GR.  The thigh-high grass seems perfect for them, and the males are easily visible from the trail.