From:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 May 2010 20:22:57 -0400
Larry Gara and I lept out to Harveysburg Road overlooking Caesar Creek Lake
to have a go at the Pacific Loon reported this morning by Rick Asamoto.  We
were joined in short order by Bob and Julie Foppe, Rick himself, John Habig
and Shane Eggleston, then Dan Sanders and several others.  Pretty soon we
had a number of stellar birders equipped with absolutely superb
optics scanning the lake for the loon.  Alas, it was not to be.  We had four
or five Common Loons in a variety of plumages and five Double-crested
Cormorants in both juvenile and adult plumages, but no Pacific Loon.

The day was not a total loss, however.  Bob Foppe found a Laughing Gull in
definitive alternate plumage.  Almost everybody had a look at it and we all
agreed on the large bill and the uniformly dark upper wing, lacking the
white bases on the primaries which distinguish the Franklin's Gull.  Not a
bad consolation prize.

Cheers,

Bob

PS:  Just had a phone call from a usually reliable source reporting a
Bobolink out on Starbuck Road north of Wilmington.  More news when it
breaks.

--
Robert D Powell
Congress Farm Research Institute