From:
Scott Pendleton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Pendleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2010 13:41:29 -0400
No exciting sightings but I tought some on the list may be interested
in two owls at my veterinary clinic awaiting transport to rehab tomorrow.
   Sunday a knock on the door at lunch was accompanied by a man with an
owl in a bucket. They were painting tables at the 4-H camp on Piedmont
lake and this young screech owl was on the concrete near the entrance to
the building. There was a hole in the building that had feces streaks
about 30 feet away. They didn't know if they should put him in the hole
and since he looked OK they decided to leave him. They checked on him
before leaving and he was three feet away from becoming black snake lunch.
So they transported him to me.
   He/she wieghs 90 grams, appears to be a tennis ball with feathers (so
my staff says) and is in good health. It did not eat the diced mouse
dinner I prepared it last night so I tubed it this morning. Its wings are
nearly fully feathered and should need but a week or so at rehab.
  At 11pm the same Sunday, the doorbell sounded. My wife wakes me shortly
after to tell me there is a person at the door with a bird stuck to its
grill. It is still alive; can I get out of bed anfd check it out! I was
met by an excited person who said there is a "gianormous" bird stuck on
the grill and it was not happy. The tell tale sign of a PO'ed owl clicking
away sent me to get some leather gloves. Sure enough a great horned owl,
one wing was wedged in the grill and the feet were hanging on for dear
life to another part of the grill. I extricated her and she seems fine!!
It turns out she was hit at the entrance of my clinic. In this area, I had
watched a GH fledge two owls in mid April and this was likely her.
   The remarkable thing is not only did she get hit a 55mph, she rode two
miles home, and then three miles to my house. All with out breaking any
bones. I suspect she has a sore shoulder but I can find no obvious bone
and soft tissue injuries! She weighs 1.58kg and has a four foot wing span.
If she can fly tonight, she will be released, if not she will accompany
the screech owl to rehab.  Scott Pendleton