From:
Robert Setzer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Setzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2010 22:17:48 -0400
I am compelled to talk about this. My name is "Dr. Bob" and I am a birder.

Oh, I am feeling so "worldly" these days! Judy and I have been to Magee
Marsh in Ohio! Cool! I am hooked! We must be "birders"!

I have only walked around our condo property a few times recently and was
very disappointed. "Boring"! I have yet to see any warblers. Last year I got
four warbler species in one day at this time! I have seen none yet this year
here.

However, Wednesday I saw three Baltimore Orioles here at one time - a first!
I saw individuals twice, and then at one spot observed three orioles high in
the treetops flightedly playing with each other. Cool! They are here! I have
not yet seen one on my hummer feeder like I did last year when I first hung
it out, nor have I seen any hummers return since my initial report, and this
was very exciting.

Today I had the White-Crowned Sparrow return (actually once there were two
at the same time!). They visit daily. I well remember last year when they
were new for me! Lovely birds! I feed in early morning and early afternoon
because I want to keep them around as long as I can.

On my walk I found a chickadee nesting in my neighbor's wren house. I choose
to believe the box is full of "my" alpaca fur from the hairy-mouthed
chickadee I photographed (I do not think I posted it yet.) on the suet cage
full of alpaca from the Seven Ponds Heritage Days last fall. (Geez! Those
beasts are so soft!)

(And, I should note that one chickadee preferred the white hairs and another
preferred the brown hairs - both were selective for color - interesting!
They picked selectively quite awhile. The same thing happened with the
Titmouse I shot, and also a -yuk!-House Sparrow getting nesting materials. I
am not sure that there is a color preference as implied by a response I had
on the list about orange-ish dog fur as being preferable and selected - but
my current hypothesis is that they are consistent in picking from the
available hairs to collect the same color for their nest. Such silly
interior decorators! Like - who is going to see it anyway other than the
female mate?)

I also saw my first wren ever in my deck area! It alighted and sat briefly
on an empty suet feeder (wood at top and bottom, cage on sides) while
apparently evaluating it as a possible residence? It unfortunately left
before I could grab the camera. I had always figured we were too far from
the forest area (ca. 75 yards) to interest anything other than House
Sparrows, so never bothered with nest boxes. Maybe I need to change my
opinion!

Orioles! Wrens! White-Crowns! All in my backyard!

So why do I go to Magee?

I think last year I was more concerned with compiling a relatively
comprehensive photographic "avian fauna" for Streamwood Estates. I still
will do this, but my new disease propels me beyond and causes lack of focus.
I am concerned.

Yes, now I seem to have caught the "birding disease". I think it happened
electronically and was transmitted through multiple contacts.  I think I
caught it from "the list". I am not sure if it is viral or bacterial (the
main disease vectors) but fear it is an incurable disease transmitted
through enthusiasm and something else for which there is no cure. My
symptoms include wanting to see birds "in the feathers" rather than "in the
books". I have a hard time staying indoors when I think I might be able to
see a new bird. I can't focus on what I "should be doing" and instead my
agitation propels me beyond my walls. I always seem to want more! I find
myself dreaming more and driving farther. I seem to be speaking in a foreign
language (what does Prothonotary mean anyway?). My neck hurts!

Am I "OK"? Is there a cure? Is there a self-help group available? Is my
infirmity only temporary, or must I live with it forever?

Does anyone know anything about personal mitigation of Midwest migration
affectation disorder? It does not come up with a "Google".

Please help! My "yard birds" are boring and in my agitation I only dream
about venturing far afield. What can I do?

"Dr. Bob" Setzer

Streamwood Estates, Rochester Hills (Crooks & Hamlin), Oakland County,
MIchigan

"Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day."   Teaching a man to "bird"
is much harder!

Blog:  <http://drbobsbirdblog.blogspot.com/>
http://drbobsbirdblog.blogspot.com/