OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 2010 08:32:37 -0400
I believe Regina is correct in her observation about water not being a
necessity for Red-headed Woodpeckers. In Northeast Ohio they are closely
tied to wooded swamp and moist woodlands with Red Oaks as the predominate
tree species. The woodpecker's abundance depends on the success of the acorn
crop. In good years they will reside in these woodlands all winter and nest
there the following spring. They can be common in Trumbull County following
a good acorn crop and absent for a year following a poor crop. As elsewhere,
they do inhabit marshy areas with standing dead trees. I have seen them
utilizing these areas much like flycatchers do- and Red-headeds are
surprisingly good at "flycatching", even catching large dragonflies in
flight.

Dave Hochadel