OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 12 Aug 2010 02:50:20 +0000613_iso-8859-1 Greetings -

The Arctic Tern was easily found and observed at 6:30 p.m. this evening, the 11th, on the beach at Maumee Bay State Park. Many thanks to Kenn, and also to Greg for getting word out quickly via the listservs. A great bird. A few photos are up on my blog, giving the viewer a realistic semi-distant view of the bird (with good comparison of surrounding species)as it rested amidst the large grouping of Common, Forster's, and Caspian Terns, and Herring, Ring-billed, and Bonaparte's Gulls. When resting amidst the hoard, the Arctic preferred to centralize its location within the [...]47_12Aug201002:50:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2010 13:52:02 -0400
This morning the shorebird activity on the mudflats on the east shore of Hoover Reservoir near Pelican Island was somewhat subdued compared to the last few days. Being Saturday there was more boat activity near the shore which probably was not helpful. Three of us gave the mudflats a good look-over and we were rewarded with decent results. No sign of the Peregrine Falcon today or the Dowitchers, but the Bald Eagles, Osprey, Buff-breasted Sandpipers and Marbled Godwit put I appearances for us. A list of the more interesting species we observed follows.
Charlie Bombaci
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret