OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 2010 20:58:05 -0400
For Tim and other birders that are wondering - Pelican Island is an actual island off the east shore of Hoover Reservoir. Tom, the name is not a creation of local birders but can be found on detailed maps. The island used to be more obvious until the reservoir's level was raised 3 feet. Now only small portions are above water during the high water months and the area around it becomes a vast mudflat during the low water months. In August 2005 Jim McCormac did an excellent write-up on this area and its bounty for birders.

To locate the area see DeLorme Page 58, Grid C-2, Block Center-East.

The map at Page 58, Grid C-2, Block Center-East of the DeLorme Atlas shows several islands along the east shore of Hoover Reservoir. The small islands at the top right are the site of the Osprey Platform off Area M. The center island, slightly below the green area on the map (the area colored green represents land within the Hoover Nature Preserve) is Pelican Island. The third island that lies south of it is off the Eastshore Yacht Club.

I have been birding at this location for 35 years plus. In years when the water level recedes it is an outstanding location for shorebirds in central Ohio. The public access is via the gate by the Eastshore Yacht Club. Park on the road berm or if crowded you can park in the lot for Hoover Meadows just north and across Sunbury Road from the gate. Stay attentive from the entrance north to the island as good birds can be located the entire distance.

If you wish additional information email me directly and I will answer as quickly as my schedule allows.

You might run into me along the tree line as I am just beginning this years circuit to clean and do maintenance on my PROW nest boxes.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve