OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2010

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 2010 20:13:09 -0400
I would like to add a couple things to Jen's message.  I have been watching
the lake for quite a few years and if I had my choice, I would be watching
from Huron or Vermilion this time of year.  In my opinion the two best lake
watching sites are the end of the pier by the lighthouse at Huron and Sherod
Park west of Vermilion.  From Huron you can get some incredibly close views.
I once had a harlequin duck fly by about 20 feet away.  The problem with
Huron is the waves on extremely windy days.  Sherod Park is another great
area and there you can watch from your car if you desire.  A lot of good
birds pass by here.  From Sherod you are on a cliff so you have some
elevation.  It's not as high as the cliffs here in eastern Lake County, but
they help.  Out this way Perry Township Park is definitely a great spot.
You are on a cliff and you have great visibility.

From here the first two hours are often the best.  It seems like the first
half hour of light is slow, but it often picks up after that.  It seems like
a lot of times things settle down a lot by 9:30-10:00.  But as Jen said
sometimes the birds get going later as they did recently.  On some great
days I have had birds moving until dusk.  that is an exception.  Figure
which way the birds are heading and watch where they are starting from.  If
they are heading east to west, concentrate on the east.  That way if you see
something good, you have a lot of time to follow it.  Also look up.
Starting in October that is where to watch for loons.

For directions to these locations and others check the online guide to Lake
Erie access points

http://ohiodnr.com/Coastal_Main_Menu/Access/tabid/21033/Default.aspx

John Pogacnik
4765 Lockwood Road