OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2010

From:
Spencer Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Spencer Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2010 10:47:03 -0400
On Jen's recommendation I stopped up at the Avon Lake Power Plant yesterday
for about a half hour between appointments.  There was a decent amount of
gull movement, but it was way too far out on the lake, even for my scope.  I
did have a pleasant surprise of two Bald Eagles, one adult and one juvenile.
My guess is that the adult was giving some fishing lessons to the juvenile
because the adult would grab a fish, and the juvenile would mimic the
behavior.  I'm not sure if either caught any fish, but it was very
entertaining to watch.  On my way from the pier to the parking lot, I walked
through a small area of Locust Trees.  I decided to watch for any activity
and soon saw 6-7 Blackpoll Warblers.  They were fairly cooperative, offered
great views and were easier to identify than I thought.  I always struggle
with fall warblers but there was no doubt about these guys.

Spencer