OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2010

From:
"Allen T. Chartier" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen T. Chartier
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2010 08:48:39 -0400
Frank,

I'm in southeastern Michigan but our latitudes aren't much different, so
what we've observed here should apply to you as well.

In fall, adult males depart first. They can leave Michigan's Upper Peninsula
as early as the first week of August, but generally their migration spans
the entire month, with 95% of the adult males gone from southern Michigan by
Labor Day. Some adult females can start departing in mid-August but their
migration extends through the month of September, which appears to be when
most of the juveniles migrate too. There is a distinct peak in their
migration around September 5-15, with declining numbers after that, with 95%
of all hummingbirds out of Michigan by September 30. But we do annually have
lingering Ruby-throats into October, some years with more than 50 reports
and some years even in the Upper Peninsula, though those have been verified
with good photos. 99.9% of Ruby-throats will be gone from Michigan by
October 15, so any hummingbird after that date should be carefully
identified as Ruby-throat, not assumed to be Ruby-throat. Western strays,
like Rufous Hummingbird, typically get reported during October but not
necessarily because that's when they arrive, but that's sometimes when the
homeowners (often not "birders") notice something different about the one
still hanging around. Sometimes, they will remember that it arrived earlier
and was passed off as a female Ruby-throat (of course adult male Rufous are
easy to ID).

So, I'd suggest leaving your feeder up at least until mid-October so that
you might see some of the later stragglers.

Allen T. Chartier
amazilia1(at)comcast.net
Inkster, Michigan, USA