OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2010

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2010 18:48:56 -0700
I went to Villa Angela and Wildwood State Parks on the east side of Cleveland today around 4:30pm.  I stayed til 6:40pm.  Yellow-rumps were flying across the creek as I arrived.  It was very birdy in Villa Angela.  There was activity near the grassy knoll area past the bridge and especially near the asphalt path along the west end of Villa Angela just south of the beach.  There are four pine trees about 40 ft east of the fence that separates the park from the mobile home park and the trees around there had nice activity.  The Red-breasted Nuthatches were crawling all over the pine tree branches and flying back and forth to a nearby dead tree branches.  After awhile I could see birds along the asphalt path near and west of the bathhouse, near the bridge as I left.  Mostly Blackpolls.  It would of been nice to of been out there earlier in the afternoon.  It wasn't like last Friday but it was busy.  Here are some of the birds I found:

Northern Flicker 5
Least Flycatcher 1
Flycatchers not ID'd 2
Red-breasted Nuthatch - at least 8
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 8
Golden-crowned Kinglet 1
Brown Thrasher 1 (Wildwood)

Warblers:
Nashville 6
Magnolia 4
Cape May 1
Black-throated Blue 1 m
Yellow-rumped 10+
Black-throated Green 2
Blackburnian 1
Pine 1
Blackpoll 25+
American Redstart 2
Common Yellowthroat 1
Wilson's  5-6

White-throated Sparrows - many

Also, a different Red-breasted Nuthatch was seen at my yard (after 10 days) this time feeding on thistle feeder.  Don't usually see on thistle feeder.  The other birds were hogging the black oil sunflower feeder so he had to wait his turn.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH