OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2010

From:
Ann Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2010 17:33:07 -0400
Hello Buckeye Birders,

You now have the option to attend JUST the Saturday evening keynote
presentation by Drew Wheelan, ABA Gulf Coast Coordinator, on October 9th in
Eastlake, Ohio (Cleveland vicinity) during the OOS Sixth Annual Meeting.
We've just added this option: see the OOS website for more details
(http://www.ohiobirds.org/)

Drew will present a first-hand account of the effects of the disaster in the
Gulf on birds and bird habitat, and subsequent efforts to clean it up. He
will also examine wildlife response efforts and behind-the-scenes politics,
including rehabilitation and recovery efforts. The confounding role of
corporate and governmental oversight, as well as the exclusion of a willing
volunteer force will be discussed: recommendations to prepare for and deal
with likely future environmental disasters will be presented. Drew has taken
thousands of images of the spill, as  well as many hours of video, which he
will also feature in this special keynotepresentation. Read Drew’s blog at:
http://birding.typepad.com/gulf/

Please register and pay in advance to join us for SATURDAY dinner before
Drew's talk: if you are joining us for the lecture portion ONLY, you can pay
at the door.
Dinner and Drew's presentation for OOS members: $45. Pay in advance.
Dinner & Drew's presentation for non-members: $55. Pay in advance.
Drew's presentation (no dinner) for OOS members: $15. Pay at door.
Drew's presentation (no dinner) for non-members: $20. Pay at door.

Of course, we hope you'll attend for the entire weekend! Our Friday evening
keynote is Cleveland's Larry Rosche, there are Saturday & Sunday morning
field trips and two Lake Erie pelagic options, plus three breakout Saturday
afternoon talks on sparrows (John Pogacnik), bird migration (Andy Jones),
and dangerous nighttime illumination of tall buildings (Harvey Webster).

Full details on registration, lodging, and field trips:
http://www.ohiobirds.org/calendar/annual_meeting/meeting.php

Please note: the Villa Angela/Wildwood/Cleveland Lakefront State Park field
trip is SUNDAY-only with the good folks from Western Cuyahoga Audubon
Society!

In Appreciation,
Ann Oliver
Cincinnati