OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2010

Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 2010 20:02:50 -0400
  Greetings

AS the subject implies, the birds were lacking.  I started the day doing
what I should have done yesterday, changing cups at my parents golf
course.  While there I saw 2 immature BW Teal, and 3 Mature Eagles, Plus
a Heron.

When I finished that, I was so close to New Bloomington that I went over
and checked 95 for fly ins.
The earth movers at the SR 95 area near New Bloomington did do some
re-sculpting of the area and the birds were fewer.

There were
about a dozen Semipalmated Sandpipers
about the same amount of Least Sandpipers
A couple of Solitary Sandpipers
2 Semipalmated Plovers

The final bird in that area was a mystery sandpiper.  I think that it
was a western, but I want/need confirmation from someone else...It has
all the right markings, but you know how these things can look like
something else.  So here is a link to  a pic:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s226/sjlarue/OOSociety/Sandpiper-437.jpg

Continuing down 95, the area near Herr Rd held:

A dozen trumpeter swans
12-15 Egrets.
3 GBH
Possibly 2 snowy Egrets as well.  They were at the end of the wet area
and I couldn't be certain.  But two were a little smaller than the rest.
Mixed in were some solitary Sandpipers.

I finished my day over in the older areas of Big Island WA on LaRue
Prospect.  Specifically back in the trees and swamp behind the handicap
blind.  I had expected to see some woodland birds but there were none.
Not even a sparrow.  About the only other birds I saw were a handful of
goldfinches.   But I am never one to call it quits especially when I
have frames left on my card :D.  So I turned to other flying critters of
the Butter and Dragon variety.

Butterflies spotted were:
Monarch
Viceroy
Silver Spotted Skippers
A Black Swallowtail fluttered by as well.

Dragons were:

a Eastern Amberwing
a Blue Dasher
an awesome Black Saddlebag
a couple of Green Darners
Ruby Meadowhawks
and
White faced Meadowhawks

Both of the Meadowhawks were everywhere back in there.  Everything I
shot today, I wished I had found LAST Month when the stamp competition
was going on....I still got some in, but some of the ones from today
would have been awesome in it.

Pics of some of the cool dragonflies here:
http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s226/sjlarue/Insectivora/

Any help on that ID  of the sandpiper would be grateful.

Thanks and Have an Awesome Labor Day Weekend!

Steve J
(aka sjlarue)