OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
Rebecca Schmitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rebecca Schmitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2010 14:42:17 -0800
Hello Bird Lovers!

I was so excited to see that the woodpecker was awake, alert and seemingly peppy
this morning. The prognosis looked good !

I was able to take my broken-winged bird to the Ohio Wildlife Center this
morning.  I gave them the info and left my gorgeous friend with Stormy.  She
told me that they would give him pain meds right away, let him rest & acclimate
for 30 mins or so, give fluids if needed and then take an x-ray.

I was told that they would repair the wing if possible.  I made plans to return
to OWC after work to check on him.  I arrived at work really happy, feeling he
was going to be ok.  I shared the story and a few pix of him from my cell
phone with my 4th grade students.  They loved the story & pix.

A few hours later, Linda (OWC Director) called me to let me know what they had
done so far.  I was teaching at the time, but felt I should answer the phone.  I
thought it was really nice of her to call!   Unfortunately, the broken bone in
the wing damaged blood vessels, cutting off the blood supply...  most of the
wing was already dead.  Linda told me that they would have to euthanize him.

I was heartbroken.  I felt so bad for the bird (and for me, as I was in full
maternal mode) .  Linda said it was good that I brought him in because he
probably would have lived another day and suffered great pain.  I tried to focus
on that thought but I have to tell you, it's been a very sad day for me.

When the day ended, one of my students came up to me and handed me a picture.
 I've attached it to share with you.  Our world is full of love and compassion,
even though the news doesn't make it seem so.  I made lots of new friends with
many of you who offered advice, education, a nesting box and care.  Thank you
all!  You have touched my heart.  Becky

Becky