OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2010 12:55:23 -0500
Larry Gara and I let it warm up a little before venturing out to Cowan this
morning.  The combination of clearing skies and continued cold evidently
worked to push in a lot of waterfowl.  They were mostly Mallards, 561 to be
precise, the highest number I have ever encounter on a single count at
Cowan.  There was also a fair variety, including four Common Goldeneye and
an American Wigeon, both unusual at this time of year at Cowan.

As interesting as the ducks were, the most charming birdwatching of day was
provided in some deep leaf litter at the head of the Hillside parking lot,
where 3 Red-headed Woodpeckers, two Red-beillied Woodpeckers, a Blue Jay,
and various titmice, nuthatches, and juncos foraged busily, sometimes all in
the same binocular field.  And I had left my camera at home.

Cheers,

Bob

--
Robert D Powell