OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 2010 14:54:43 -0500
A wonderful art exhibit, presently taking place, that we highly recommend seeing, is "The Wildlife Art Of John A. Ruthven". No admission fee is required. Wildlife artist John Ruthven is often called the modern day Audubon; Ruthven thoroughly studies his animal subjects and paints them in their habitats with realistic detail. Many of his original works are on display; some of our favorites viewed were;  a colorful flock of Carolina Parakeets around a flintlock rifle, a Wild Turkey that looks 3-dimensional (the tail feathers look as if they were carved instead of painted), a Vermilion Flycatcher, and a Ruffed Grouse taking off from powdered snow. There are also numerous paintings of raptors and coastal birds. Of interest are some wildlife collages done for The Ohio Division of Wildlife. The exhibit can be seen at The Fellows Riverside Gardens in Mill Creek Park, just off of I-680 and Glenwood Avenue near downtown Youngstown. Hours are 10AM to 5PM, Tuesday thru Sunday, ending January 9th. This is a great way to spend a winter day!
Bob and Denise Lane / Damascusl