OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2010 12:47:38 -0500
Thanks to a tip from Lucy Miller of The Nature Conservancy, I can pass
along a link to an interview with Jonathan Franzen, author of one of the
more widely acclaimed recent novels. I haven't read "Freedom" (a #1
best-seller with a cerulean warbler on the cover!) yet, but I can
recommend
http://www.grist.org/article/2010-12-05-franzen-freedom-activism-compromises-overpopulation-birds/?ref=se
to readers of this list. Don't forget to follow the link to his article
"My Bird Problem" that shows up in the text, too
http://www.oprah.com/oprahsbookclub/My-Bird-Problem-by-Jonathan-Franzen/18
         Franzen has an impressive N. American life list for just ten years'
birding, considering all the writing he's doing, and I think most of you
will enjoy following his adventures and ruminations. Have a look.
        There are some rather yucky pop-ups and ad sidebars on these pages. If
these repel you as much as they do me, write me and I'll recommend
software to strip them.
Working on the old sitzfleisch on a snowy day,
Bill Whan
Columbus