OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
Alex Champagne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alex Champagne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 2010 17:13:04 -0500
The OSU Ornithology Club birded the Olentangy Wetlands and adjacent Union
Cemetery as part of the Columbus Christmas Bird Count.  We totaled 36
species on the day.  Highlights included:

Olentangy Wetlands:
Green-winged Teal (1)
E. Screech Owl (1)
Field Sparrow (2)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (1)

Union Cemetery:
Merlin (1, possibly the same individual that has wintered here the past 2
years)
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (2)
Fox Sparrow (1)

We also birded on OSU's main campus, and were surprised to find that the
traditional Black-crowned Night-Heron roost on the Olentangy River across
from the Drake Union had no birds.  Any information as to where these
birds might have moved would be greatly appreciated.

Good Birding,
Alex Champagne