OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2010 19:55:45 -0500
Yesterday was the Lake Erie Islands Christmas Bird Count.  Sandy Tkach and I
covered Kelleys Island while also doing the month census.  Good news is
birds were very good(70+ species).  Bad news news is the ferry has stopped
running because of ice.  The best bird of the day was a Bohemian Waxwing.
It was observed and photographed today as well.  The only way to the island
now is to fly Griffing Air from Port Clinton.  It is $50 one way and $2 a
day to park at the airport.  The bird is with a small flock of Cedar
waxwings at the Quarry Condos in "downtown" Kelleys Island.  There are
numerous ornamental crab apple trees and other fruit trees/shrubs around the
condos which the birds are feeding on.  I believe the bird will stay until
all the fruits are eaten.  The bad thing about that is that there are
thousands of European Starlings on the island and they are also feeding on
these plants and everything else on the island.  The islanders are upset
because of the bird droppings on there cars.

I will post the census results later.  John Pogacnik is the compiler and he
will post the results of the Christmas count later, as well.  I still need
to send him my stuff.  If you have any other questions, feel free to contact
me.  It am trying to figure out how to or where to post the photos.

Tom

--
H. Thomas Bartlett
Tiffin, Ohio