OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 2010 20:12:38 -0500

The Hoover Reservoir  Christmas Bird Count took place on Saturday, December
18, 2010. The temperature  at the house when I started out was 9 degrees. I
took an out of the way route to  the gathering location at the Hoover
Reservoir Dam to enable me to check two  locations that I knew had Great Horned
Owls. Both sites produced an owl for me.  When I got to the gathering
location I quickly discovered that many people that  indicate they would be
participating were no-shows. I long ago learned that very  cold temperatures or
snowy roads mean many no shows. They probably regret not  coming as in 2007
with snow falling we tallied 75 species including 39 Snow  Buntings and 101
Lapland Longspurs, plus many other nice finds. This year with  the low
temperature we tallied 83 species with several exceptional finds. The  wonderful
people who made up my teams did great as will be shown by the results  that
follow. There may be a few minor adjustments as I may receive a few  additional
feeder reports. With fanfare to all those that were a part of this  year’s
CBC, here are the raw figures for the count-

HOOVER RESERVOIR,  FRANKLIN & DELAWARE COUNTY
DECEMBER 18,  2010
CHRISTMAS BIRD  COUNT

Underlined names  represent unusual species; underlined numbers represent
species with a new high  count.
1  Horned Grebe, 12 Great Blue Heron, 1  Trumpeter Swan, 3 Mute Swan, 8,584
Canada Goose, 1 Snow Goose, 48  American Wigeon, 5 Gadwall, 178 American
Black Duck, 1,885 Mallard, 48 Northern Shoveler, 1  Redhead, 13 Green-winged
Teal, 14 Lesser  Scaup, 15 Common Goldeneye, 1 Bufflehead, 144 Hooded
Merganser, 1 Common  Merganser, 15 Ruddy Duck, 15  Bald Eagle, 1 Northern Harrier,
1 Sharp-shinned Hawk, 5 Cooper’s Hawk, 2  Rough-legged Hawk, 34 Red-  tailed
 Hawk, 11 American Kestrel, 2 Merlin, 11 Wild Turkey, 1 Wilson’s  Snipe,
166 Ring-billed Gull, 4 Herring Gull, 327 Rock Pigeon, 245 Mourning Dove, 10
American Coot, 1 Eastern  Screech Owl,  4 Great Horned  Owl, 2 Barred Owl, 5
Belted Kingfisher, 2  Red-headed Woodpecker, 87 Red-bellied Woodpecker, 5
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, 136 Downy Woodpecker, 13 Hairy  Woodpecker, 30
Northern Flicker, 9 Pileated Woodpecker, 337 Blue Jay, 263 American  Crow, 256
Horned Lark, 330 Carolina  Chickadee, 179 Tufted Titmouse, 2 Red-breasted
Nuthatch,  123 White-breasted Nuthatch, 9  Brown Creeper, 26 Carolina Wren, 1
Winter Wren, 21 Golden-crowned Kinglet, 54 Eastern Bluebird, 1 Hermit Thrush,
1,806  American Robin, 5 Northern  Mockingbird, 3,192 European Starling, 238
Cedar  Waxwing, 17 Yellow-rumped Warbler, 1 Pine Warbler, 336 Northern
Cardinal, 6 Eastern Towhee, 76 American Tree Sparrow, 1 Chipping Sparrow, 2 Fox
Sparrow, 80  Song Sparrow, 1 Swamp Sparrow, 154  White-throated Sparrow, 20
White-crowned  Sparrow, 329 Dark-eyed Junco, 3 Lapland  Longspur, 2 Snow
Bunting, 1 Red-winged  Blackbird, 125 Common Grackle, 6 Brown-headed  Cowbird,
61 Purple  Finch, 96 House Finch, 204 American  Goldfinch,  301 House
Sparrow.
Count  Week Birds: Red-necked Grebe, Double-crested Cormorant
Totals:  83 Species, 20,739  Individuals
13  New High Counts Set
1 High Count  Tied
2 New Species for  Circle
Compiler  - Charles Bombaci, 6715 Henschen Circle, Westerville, Ohio  43082