OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
Ryan Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 2010 20:27:42 -0800
My dad and I went out to Killdeer plains for a few hours the afternoon.  We had a Northern Shrike along Wyandot-Marion Road near the sign that says "I" just east of the impounds.  We went back later and had the bird a second time in the same spot.  The bird is very flighty and flies back over the evergreen trees just off the road long before your car can get up to the bushes which he was sitting in so it is important to keep an eye out for him long before you get up to the location.  We bumped into a Christmas Bird Count crew just after we passed him the first time (didn't know the bird count was today which is too bad because I would have liked to participate).  Hope you guys got it, and if not, I would be happy to mail whoever is in charge the $5 if you would like to use my numbers.
Also noteworthy were 2 Short-eared Owls along C71between T108 and T123 and approximately 15 Snow Buntings mixed in with the many Horned Larks along C119 between C71 and Wyandot-Marion Rd.  Otherwise things were pretty slow with very few waterfowl (only a handful of Canada Geese) and surprisingly few raptors.

Good Birding!

-Ryan Steiner
Smithville, Wayne Co, OH