OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
Luv2bird33 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luv2bird33 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2010 12:22:11 -0500
Hi everyone,
          They are in my yard------ at least some of them, along with White-crowneds, Tree Sparrows, Song Sparrows and Juncos. No doubt the habitat surrounding our property helps, but we never had all these species consistantly all winter and into May until we increased the native shrubs, built brush piles and started doing a lot of ground feeding close to the brush piles using a large amount of white millet. Most winters we also have one or two of the following overwinter: Field, Swamp, Chipping, Towhee and even sometimes Savannah. We have tried to make our feeding areas as natural as possible and still be able to see them. It also helps even the playing field when it comes to Sharp-shinned and Cooper's Hawks.  Very rarely do we see them pick one off  from the feeding areas and rarely find little piles of feathers. Being able to hear the songs and chips of the sparrows all winter and spring is really sweet. It kind of makes the cold go away.
I hope some sparrows show up for you. They are a real treat this time of the year. Even though we have been thrust into winter, it is still early.

Shari Jackson
Northeast Stark County