OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2011

Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2011 16:46:18 -0500
February 25 - 2:30 - 4 p.m.

Englewood Main Metropark:

Since we finally have substantial water in the main pond, we're enjoying a
greater variety of ducks and numbers of each variety of ducks than for the
last  15 years.

Numbers are at best approximate:
    Canada geese and mallards - simply too many and  too difficult to count

American wigeons - 14

    Ring-necked ducks - 200+
    Canvasbacks - 12
    Redheads - 30
    Gadwalls - 4
    Northern pintails - 50
    Black ducks - 2
    Lesser scaup - 6
    Wood ducks - 10
    Green-winged teal - 30
    Blue-winged teal - 2
    Creagles - 2
    Red-shouldered hawk - 1
    And Most Of The Usual Stuff

And now for the bad news--It seems that there is a breech in each of  the
three new retaining walls and water is seeping out.  Some  greater, some
lesser.  This summer could be a repeat of last year's  "drought".

Ed and Bev Neubauer, Kurt Stein, Kathy Groves
Englewood, Ohio