OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2011 11:34:59 -0800
Today there were 2 common redpolls at my feeders (briefly) here in Poland Twp., Mahoning Co.  I got to look around at a bunch of places recently in parts of Ashtabula, Trumbull, Mahoning, Columbiana, and Stark Counties.  Starting on 2/26---the last productive day for the Mahoning R. between Struthers and Lowellville with lesser scaups, c. goldeneye, and 12 hooded mergansers.  Along the roadsides were 2 n. mockingbirds and a rusty blackbird.  I went north for a visit to the Ashtabula Co. lakefront next.  That was a bad idea since L. Erie was completely frozen at Ashtabula and Conneaut.  The Ashtabula R. and Conneaut Creek were also frozen.  I saw a Cooper's hawk in Ashtabula.  Then I went south down Rte. 7 and found 44 wild turkeys in Monroe Twp., a light morph rough-legged hawk in Pierpont Twp., and Am. kestrel in Richmond Twp.  At Pymatuning Res., the only open water was at the causeway bridges (there are 1 each in Ohio and Pennsylvania).  On
 the Ohio side: 60 tundra swans, Am. wigeons, Am. black ducks, redheads, greater scaup, lesser scaups, buffleheads, c. goldeneye, and red-breasted merganser.  In the area were 22 wild turkeys, bald eagle, red-shouldered hawk, and Am. tree sparrows.  Continuing SW from there in Ashtabula Co., at the Rte. 322/Rte. 11 area in Colebrook Twp. a large gathering of birds in cornstubble fields included Canada geese, Am. crows, and 3000+ mixed blackbirds.  An Am. kestrel was nearby.  I crossed into Trumbull Co. next, another Am. kestrel was in Greene Twp. there.  At Mosquito L/WA open water was at the causeway only.  Highlights were 16 tundra swans, canvasback, redheads, lesser scaups, bufflehead, 22 c. goldeneyes, hooded mergansers, and 2 red-breasted mergansers.  Around the WA were 5 bald eagles (one pair).  That was the end of birding that day.  The next day, 2/27, I spent in Mahoning and N Columbiana Cos.  Started at Beaver Twp. (MAHO).  The pond
 off of Western Reserve Rd. held 4 snow geese (3 blue, 1 white), 37 tundra swans, gadwalls, Am. black duck, 100 mallards, 12 canvasbacks, 39 redheads, 36 ring-necked ducks, lesser scaups, buffleheads, and Am. coots.  Also in Beaver Twp. were 2 turkey vultures and 2 n. mockingbirds.  Next stop was Arrowhead L. which had gadwalls, Am. wigeons, 25 ring-necked ducks, lesser scaup, bufflehead, and ruddy duck.  From there I headed into Columbiana Co., and saw 3 turkey vultures in Salem Twp.  Franklin Square bottoms didn't have many fowl, in that area were Am. wigeons, Cooper's hawk, killdeer, Am. tree sparrows, and 2 white-crowned sparrows.  On to Guilford L., there was some open water with 12 tundra swans, canvasback, redheads, ring-necked duck, greater scaup, and 49 hooded mergansers present.  Salem Res. was frozen up.  I headed towards home from there.  At the south end of Pine L. back in Mahoning Co. the pair of bald eagles were near the nest
 site.  Closer to home, the great horned owl was still sitting on the nest in Lowellville, and in Poland/Coitsville Twps. were red-shouldered hawks (1 calling), killdeers at 4 spots, and several singing red-winged blackbirds.  I took a break on 2/28, then back out in the field on 3/1.  Driving through east Youngstown, I saw a pair of red-shouldered hawks with one carrying nesting material.  Went to L. Milton next.  The water was still very low there, and it has been blah for waterfowl so far this year.  Present were Am. black ducks, ring-necked ducks, lesser scaups, buffleheads, c. goldeneyes, hooded mergansers, and a few herring gulls.  Several more c. goldeneyes were on the Mahoning R. between Milton and Berlin L.  At Berlin, there was a little open water at the Rte. 224 causeway, and also from the Rte. 14 bridge SW into Stark Co. was all open.  It was flooded and murkey with lots of debris in Stark Co. though with no waterfowl, just gulls.
 Gadwalls were the only ducks at the causeway.  I headed west to Walborn Res. in Stark Co. next.  At the Reeder Rd. crossing were 2 n. pintails, ring-necked ducks, and red-breasted merganser.  Only a few blackbirds in the area, no sign of the yellow-headed blackbird seen on Saturday.  I didn't look very long though.  From there I went back east towards the upper Mahoning R. headwaters.  On the way, I spotted a pair of red-shouldered hawks in aerial display in Alliance.  Large flooded areas were found near the upper Mahoning R. in the Bandy Rd./Rte. 62 area around the Mahoning/Columbiana Co. line.  On the Mahoning Co. side were 16 n. pintails and ring-necked ducks.  On the Columbiana Co. side in Knox Twp. there were a number of flooded fields attracting birds.  Found there and at little Westville L. in that area were gadwall, Am. wigeons, Am. black ducks, 30 ring-necked ducks, 2 turkey vultures, red-tailed hawks, 3 killdeers, n. flicker, horned
 lark, and cedar waxwing.  I left there and went east towards Beaver Twp. in Mahoning Co. next.  In Green Twp. (MAHO) were n. mockingbird and Am. tree sparrows.  At the Beaver Twp. pond: drake Eurasian wigeon (thanks Bill Whan for posting), Am. wigeons, 10 canvasbacks, 65 redheads, 140 ring-necked ducks, 2 greater scaup, 20 lesser scaup, buffleheads, c. goldeneye, 2 ruddy ducks, bald eagle, Am. coots, and killdeer.  Over the last few days, I encountered small numbers of e. bluebirds at many scattered locations.  Song sparrows were widespread in good numbers.  Am. robins and blackbirds were in rather small numbers yet but also widespread.  Craig Holt, Lowellville