OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
M & D Dunakin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
M & D Dunakin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2011 16:43:44 -0400
Greetings from the Black Swamp,

Today we saw precious few waterfowl, but some of them were precious indeed, including four Greater White-fronted Geese at the Thomas Wetlands just east of Antwerp Village.  Just beside the pond where the geese were lurking along the edge of the water were seven Sandhill Cranes.  Another good find was a flock of 10 Common Goldeneye at the Stokely Ponds at the northwest corner of Paulding Village.  The Paulding Reservoir has finally opened up, but the only birds we saw on the water were two Horned Grebes.  This is the first day this year we have seen the reservoir without a sheet of ice on it!

We also had a big surprise at the in-laws in Antwerp where we found a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and a pair of Pine Siskins, both new birds for the year for us.

Today the emphasis was on quality.  Now if you folks up north would please send us some of your hordes of waterfowl, we'd be much obliged!

Bird long and prosper,
Doug & Micki Dunakin
Antwerp, O.