OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
Brian Menker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Menker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2011 19:26:38 -0700
At CJ Brown Reservoir near Springfield today I looked around a little

At CJ Brown Reservoir near Springfield today I looked around a little from the
Lake View area by the Visitor Center. With binos I could see small groups of
Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Red-breasted and Hooded Mergansers, two Pied-billed
Grebes, 4 Horned Grebes, about 20 Coots and 1 Common Loon.  (my first loon was
last Tuesday the 8th)
There were far more birds out on the lake scattered around, but alas a scope I
do not have.

Old Reid Park across the road from the Dam had many Mallards, 2 pairs of
Northern Shovelers, a few Lesser Scaup, several coots, and a lone female Ruddy
Duck. (besides the many mutts).  The Canada Geese are beginning to pair up and
the Mute Swans look like they are, unfortunately nesting again.

The oddest sighting of the day was a hen Wild Turkey walking in the middle of
the road in Buck Creek State Park (between the boat ramp intersection and the
curve- about 200 yards north of where the Bell's Vireos used to nest).  I crept
toward the turkey at 5 mph so as not to spook it, but she stretched her neck to
look into the car from 5 yards away.  The two cars behind me went around her as
well, but she ran off into the woods when they passed her.  Turkeys are fairly
uncommon there, we've only started seeing them for the last 7 or 8 years and
then only rarely.

Driving home around 5 pm along St. Rte. 4 southwest of town, I saw a kettle of
about 25 Turkey Vultures circling along the edge of the Mad River valley.  As I
got closer, there were about 20 more roosting in the trees along the fence
line.  I have been seeing some TVs for a few weeks here and there (even 1 Black
Vulture), but this is the biggest group so far. Maybe they thought Springfield
was Hinckley today...

Brian Menker
Dayton/Springfield