OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
Greg Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2011 16:53:08 -0800
Howdy all!

I was out with Su Snyder today.  After quite a bit of searching and waiting we
were rewarded with several sightings of the raven.  Most of the time the raven
was being harassed by 2-4 crows.  But at one point we watched the calling raven
chasing a crow with a mouth full of food.  That was a cool sight.  All the
sightings were this afternoon between 1:00pm and 3:00pm.

The raven seemed to prefer the woodlot just to the South of the intersection of
College Hill Rd & Hochstetler Rd (on Google Maps this is Hostetler Rd).  This
area is 3.5 miles West of St Rt 3 on College Hill Rd about 0.2 miles past
Hochstetler Rd.  You can see the raven's favorite woodlot behind you.  You can
see a red barn with elk in the valley below.  This hill looks like the highest
point in the area.

We saw the raven once at the West end of Hochstetler Rd and also just South of
Reed Rd.  Reed Rd can be reached by retracing one's path back to Peeler Mill Rd,
turn left on Peeler Rd and left again on Reed Rd.  Go up over the first hill
past the orange snow fence.  The raven was seen near the farm on the left with 3
silos together and lots of farm equipment.  We actually saw what appeared to be
a couple dead cows near the woodlot to the South of this farm.  Was the raven
feeding here?  I don't know.  We didn't see it (or any vultures) near the
animals.

-Greg Miller
Sugarcreek, OH