OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
Greg Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2011 01:48:49 -0700
Howdy All!

Cheryl Harner and I chased some rarities yesterday with great success.  The
first stop was La Rue for the Hoary Redpoll.  It was coming in to a feeder next
to the house.  Check.  A Chipping Sparrow was also at the feeder.  So we birded
Big Island Wildlife Area while we were in the vicinity.  Tree Swallows have now
returned en force.  They were ubiquitous at Big Island.  There were still good
numbers of Northern Shovelers and Northern Pintails--two extraordinarily
beautiful ducks.  We had 3 Greater Yellowlegs as well.

On to C.J. Brown Reservoir near Springfield, Ohio.  We parked at the Buck Creek
State Park Visitor Center and walked out toward the tower on the dam.  We made
scan after scan of the reservoir as we walked out.  Finally, after nearly giving
up, POP!  Right in front of us the Eared Grebe appeared, as if by magic.  Check.
The bird was fully black-necked and almost complete alternate (breeding)
plumage.  The very pointed beak held at just above parallel was easy to see.
And the steep forehead was even more pronounced by the elevated feathers near
the back of the head giving it the appearance of a crest.  Eared Grebes don't
come much easier than in this plumage in Ohio.

So we drove across the street to Old Reid Park.  Mixed in with the Canada Geese
was a most cooperative Ross's Goose.  Check.  The views of this bird were
crippling good.  It seemed like it was already accustomed to the near domestic
lifestyle of the Canada Geese with which it associated.  Ahhh.  Miller views!
(a term I use when I get incredibly good looks at a bird).

All in all, a very satisfying day out birding.  Sunshine.  Good birds.  What's
not to like?

-Greg Miller
Sugarcreek, OH