OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 2011 21:20:33 -0500
I roamed around northern Pickaway and southern Franklin County looking for late winter birds and early migrants.  Slate Run was cold & snowy, with surprisingly few birds except around feeders.  The lowland areas along the Scioto River were flooded, so much so south of the Big Walnut junction that Route 762 across the river was closed due to the flooding.  I was able to scan several areas there and at the new Talbot Park in Grove City.  Highlights included:

Dabbling Ducks - not much other than Mallards, either at Slate Run or along the Scioto flood-lands.  A few Wood Ducks were at Slate Run.

Diving Ducks - Ring-necked Duck flocks in many locations, with 50 at the SR Wetlands the high #.  Also a few Redheads in the flood fields of the Scioto.

Raptors - little other than the expected Red-tailed hawks

Shorebirds & Gulls - only Kildeer for the former, but they were widespread.  A steady trickle of Ring-billed Gulls along the Scioto flood-lands.

Tree Swallows - 8-10 were feeding over the flooded bottomland at Talbot Park, my FOS

Brown Creepers - small #s at Slate Run, especially along the 5-Oaks Trail

Hermit Thrush - 1 along the 5-Oaks Trail at Slate Run

Sparrows - best spot was the feeder at the parking area of Slate Run Wetlands, where a mixed flock of Tree, Song, White-throated, & Juncos had accumulated.

Blackbirds - small flocks at Slate Run; larger flocks around the edges of the flood fields along the Scioto (Talbot had a hungry flock of 250 Redwings and 50 grackles).