Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2011 01:37:33 -0400
I was driving back from Marion over on LaRue Prospect Rd.  I looked out
and saw a Short Eared Owl perched on a post.  When I went back, it took
off and started heading down the dike.  I followed a second and it
appeared to travel away from me.  Then I went down to the next turn
around, started pulling into the parking lot, and was strafed by that
owl...It must have wanted to bid me bon voyage. :-D

All of that capped off a day of excellent family birding.

The Hoary was seen almost all day today till at least noon.  I don't
know past that. My thanks go out to Lori and Linda for the bird
feed....and before I forget..again, my thanks also go out to Darlene for
the suet and Wren house...I have it up in the recommended location and
waiting for it's first residents. ;-)

We went to Killdeer on the way to Marion...hey when you are driving you
pick the route ;-D...

Went to the Up-lake at Killdeer and saw, and heard a couple of Common
Loons...it's a wonder those things even get off the ground!:-D.  Many
more birds were there, but were on the other side of the lake.

On the reserve ponds that are on TH108 (not numbered on map) big
surprise there were 6 Caspian Terns (Carrot Beaks;-)) And six Great
Egrets. We couldn't see the 50 Am. Wigeon for the 500 Coots.

Following that the fam. were getting tired, but we pressed on to pond 27
where I was hoping to finally get the Eur. Wigeon, to no avail, but  the
Forster's Tern previously mentioned on pond 33 made an appearance...I
did get some diagnostic shots.  Bird had white primaries and white
underparts, legs were super orange, bill was orangey-brown. Tail was
longer than wingtips. I'm thinking that it is still coming out of winter
plumage.  The reason why I am bringing this description up, was that
while I was out, another birder made mention of a Common Tern seen in
the area...I did not see anything matching description of the Common
while I was out there...wish I had, that would have saved me another
trip to Erie! :-D

Other birds of interest seen:
My six year old saw a Juvenile Bald Eagle...I didn't see it for another
100 yds!..Oh and she says she saw a Canada Goose as well...WOW! ;-D
Wood ducks roosting...in trees, imagine that! :-D
A Wood Pewee so yellow I thought my white balance on my camera was off.
Blue winged Teal
Trumpeter swans
No Woodcocks or Shrikes...darn it.
Horned Grebe in near breeding plumage...Beautiful.

As I was driving home, I think I did catch a Glimpse of a woodcock
jumping up into the air over at Big Island, but I had to leave it for
another day.

  I will post in the morning bright and early...well maybe early, but
not bright :-D...if the Hoary stayed through the night, but these
southern winds are what I am actually hoping gets her out of here and to
her real home.  Birder count is up to 110+2 repeats,  and the birders
who didn't see it have now dropped by 2 to 8. So we shall see.

Posted pics of Tern and such here:

http://sjlarue.smugmug.com/Unsorted/OhioBirds/16108559_K6usy

Have a great rest of the weekend.

Steve J.