From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Apr 2011 21:12:09 -0400
No two days are the same and that is what makes these surveys fun.
yesterday there were lots of loons and Caspian terns.  Today, almost none.
The big mover today was double-crested cormorants with over 500 counted.
The most interesting bird was a small thin cormorant flying well ahead of a
group of double-crested cormorants.  Wingbeat, size, and shape were all
different from the double-crested cormorants.  I have seen small
double-crested cormorants before and they always look like a miniature
double-crested.  Hopefully this bird shows up elsewhere, it was last seen
heading west.

Lakeshore Waterbird Survey
Lakeshore Reservation, North Perry
April 17, 2011, 630-1000
Weather- cloudy-partly cloudy
Winds- NW 20-30 to SW 20-30, Temp- 41-43 F
Barometer- 29.74-29.71,
Humidity-69-70, Dew point- 31-36
Waves- 8-10 to 5-7 feet, Flight direction- west

Canada goose   1
Wood duck   3
Red-breasted merganser   183
Common Loon   3