Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2011 21:54:45 -0400

After seeing the  weather forecast for the next six days I grabbed my field
glasses and headed out  for an all day birding binge. It was a bit nippy
when I began at Area L (Dustin  Road) of the Hoover Nature Preserve. The old
road that runs to the Little Walnut  Creek is submerged so I had to slosh
through the water to get to the peninsula  that juts into the cove. The first
bird to greet me was a male Prothonotary  Warbler. There was good activity in
the leafing bushes and trees on the  peninsula. In addition to the
Prothonotary Warblers there were Yellow-rumped,  Black-throated Green,
Yellow-throated, Palm, Black-and-White, and Louisiana  Waterthrush. I worked my way up
Little Walnut Creek to the trestle, then back  along the old rail road right
away. Along the creek I found several additional  Prothonotaries, a female
Hooded Merganser, Eastern Kingbird, Barred Owl, both  kinglets and a Spotted
Sandpiper. Along the rail bed there were many Hermit  Thrush, Blue-gray
Gnatcatchers, a few Wood Thrush, Brown Thrasher and a Yellow  Warbler.
Next I checked Wiese  Road. This used to be a great underused location to
bird. Things have changed  greatly as the habitat has been degraded by
overzealous pruning by the utility  companies and a paved bike trail has been run
down it. The road still holds some  respectable birding although it is a
shadow of its former self. On snags out in  the reservoir there were some
Caspian Terns mixed in with Double-crested  Cormorants and gulls. Two Ospreys
were soaring overhead and an immature Bald  Eagle stopped on the old dead tree
next to the trail. In the greenery along the  road there were Eastern
Towhee, both kinglets, House Wrens (too close to my nest  boxes), a few Hermit
Thrush, warblers present included Yellow, Yellow-rumped,  Palm, Prothonotary
and an Ovenbird.
My last stop at the preserve was Area N.  The rain from the past few days
has raised the water level significantly and  boots are necessary to walk to
the end of the old road. Prothonotary warblers  were in decent numbers
although the best is yet to come for this area. The males  have just arrived and
they are already having border discussions. In addition to  the PROW’s there
were Northern Parula (FOY), Yellow-rumped, Black-throated  Green,
Yellow-throated, Palm, Black & White, and lone American Redstart,  Yellow, Pine and
Louisiana Waterthrush. The Yellow Warbler is out of its normal  habitat here
and was a surprise. Red-headed and Pileated Woodpeckers and a Great  Horned
Owl were slightly back into the swamp forest. The pair of Ospreys was at
the nest platform nearest the boardwalk.

Later  Linda joined me and we worked the trails at Sharon Woods Metro Park.
Hermit  Thrush seemed to be everywhere we looked. I stopped counting at 16.
Wood Thrush  were also present along the trails along with many Brown
Thrashers, both  kinglets and Brown Creepers. At the lake there was still a Ruddy
Duck. We  spotted a Cooper’s Hawk ducking into an evergreen tree, a
possible nest site?  Along the path around the lake we  located Yellow,
Yellow-rumped, Palm and Black & White Warblers. As we  returned to the car we added an
Ovenbird and a Louisiana  Waterthrush.
Charlie  Bombaci