Date:
Sat, 9 Apr 2011 15:16:11 -0400

Linda and I checked  Old Sunbury Road and Area N of the Hoover Nature
Preserve this morning. I had  two objectives, first to see how my nest boxes
fared during the recent storms,  and second to see what migrants are showing up
at the preserve. On the first I  was pleased that the nest boxes endured the
storms better than many trees.  Hardly any damage that require repairs as
the time for the arrival of the  Prothonotary Warblers nears. I expect the
first males to return in a week to 10  days. On the second, we were surprised
by a few of the new arrivals. Both  resident pairs of Osprey are back and as
Dick Tuttle commented earlier this week  the pair using the platforms at
Area M in Galena have settled in on the newer  platform which is closer to the
boardwalk and will give everyone a much better  look at them. An immature
Bald Eagle seems to have established the area at the  northern end of Hoover
Reservoir as its favored territory as I am constantly  seeing it either
perched nearby or soaring over the reservoir. Although I  haven’t seen or heard
any Prothonotary Warblers yet, Linda and I observed  Yellow-throated, Pine,
Yellow-rumped and Yellow Warblers. I was somewhat  surprised by the early
arrival of male Yellow Warblers. This is the earliest  date I have observed
them at the preserve. I have listed the more interesting  (to me) species
below.
Charlie  Bombaci
Hoover Nature  Preserve
SPECIES  LIST