Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2011 18:26:04 -0400

Today  Darlene Sillick, Al LaSala and I did some leisurely birding at
several sections  of the Hoover Nature Preserve in Delaware County. After
yesterday’s hectic  schedule that included a field trip with the Ohio Young Birders
Club, Easter  Service in the evening and attacking the home To-Do List, it
was time to just  meander and relax. We started at Hoover Meadows which is a
grassland and wetland  area. Brown Thrashers seemed to be the bird of the
day as they were everywhere.  Other birds at the meadows included Blue-winged
Teal, Wild Turkey, Sora, many  Ruby-crowned Kinglets; Yellow, Yellow-rumped
and Palm Warblers, a Fox Sparrow  and Swamp Sparrows. The usually reliable
resident Red-headed Woodpeckers  apparently took the holiday off.
We  next swung by Miller-Paul Road and picked up a nice colony of Purple
Martins.  Then we dropped by Mudhen Marsh with our objective being the
White-eyed Vireo  reported earlier. It was a no show. We did see Gray Catbirds,
lots of Gray  Catbirds. They have returned in large numbers. Other notables
were Brown  Thrashers and Yellow Warblers. Generally things were quiet.
Our  final stop was at the Baldridge Boat Launch where we added Cliff
Swallows, 5  Common Loons and a Yellow Warbler.
All  told we had 53 species as we lulled our way around. Number 54 we
enjoyed but is  not a legitimate bird, a field with Helmeted Guinea Fowl.
Charlie  Bombaci
Hoover Nature  Preserve
SPECIES  LIST
Common  Loon