From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 May 2011 17:50:16 -0400
I continued surveying for OBBA II, in non-priority blocks, since the emphasis in June will be on priority blocks.  Had some interesting birds, several first-of-season for me:

Canada goose - with goslings
wood duck - with ducklings
black vulture
turkey vulture
Cooper's hawk
red-tailed hawk
wild turkey
killdeer
rock pigeon
mourning dove
red-headed woodpecker - obvious nesters
red-bellied woodpecker - carrying food for young
downy woodpecker
northern flicker
pileated woodpecker - carrying food
eastern wood-pewee
Acadian flycatcher
willow flycatcher
eastern phoebe - fledged young
great crested flycatcher - FOY, several in multiple blocks
eastern kingbird
tree swallow
barn swallow
cedar waxwing
Carolina wren
house wren
gray catbird
northern mockingbird
brown thrasher
eastern bluebird
wood thrush
American robin - one on nest, many carrying food
Carolina chickadee
tufted titmouse
white-breasted nuthatch
blue jay
American crow - fledged young in three blocks
European starling - fledged young everywhere
house sparrow - carrying food
white-eyed vireo - singing on territory
yellow-throated vireo
red-eyed vireo
American goldfinch
blue-winged warbler - singing on territory
yellow warbler - many singing on territory
cerulean warbler
American redstart
common yellowthroat - many singing on territory
hooded warbler - singing on territory
yellow-breasted chat - several singing/displaying on territory
scarlet tanager - singing on territory
summer tanager - a pair, but too early to count
eastern towhee - many singing on territory
chipping sparrow - fledged young
field sparrow - carrying food - could hear young in nest
savannah sparrow - singing on territory
Henslow's sparrow - FOS, singing on territory
grasshopper sparrow - FOS, several singing on territory
song sparrow - fledged young
northern cardinal - carrying food
indigo bunting - many singing on territory
bobolink - too early to count for OBBA, but several seen
red-winged blackbird - fledged young
eastern meadowlark - fledged young
common grackle - carrying food
brown-headed cowbird - pair observed
Baltimore oriole - singing on territory
orchard oriole - pair observed, male singing on territory

That should be 68 species, with many confirmed nesters, in four blocks, in 5.5 hours of actual atlassing.  Of course, there were a lot of duplications during that 5+hours, but it was a great day to be out in the field.

I encourage everyone to volunteer for this final year of OBBA II.  You might be surprised how much you will enjoy the experience, and as Mark Shieldcastle suggested, you'll be "paying it forward" toward bird conservation.  The real push begins in June and there are very few places in the state that don't need more attention.

Margaret Bowman
Region 60 Coordinator, OBBA II