OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2011

Date:
Wed, 29 Jun 2011 21:40:39 -0400

Some  days are just meant to be fun. Today was one of them. I had the
pleasure of  hosting a terrific young man, Logan Kahle, for a day of birding in
Central Ohio.  Logan, a resident of San Francisco, is in Ohio visiting his
aunt who lives in  Delaware. She was referred to me when she was seeking
someone to take Logan  birding during his visit. Logan is a mixture of
personality, enthusiasm and  talent. To paraphrase the adage “It’s a small world” it
turns out that Logan’s  aunt and I have something in common; we both have
family roots tied to Essex,  Connecticut. Essex is a pin point on the map, all
3 by 5 miles of it, nestled on  the banks of the Connecticut River as it
meanders into Long Island Sound. But  back to birding, I picked Logan up at
his aunt’s and we headed first to Jackson  Township in Hardin County to locate
Dickcissels, Bobolinks and grassland  sparrows. Success as we were
surrounded by Dickcissels and lesser numbers of  Bobolinks and sparrows, with
Eastern Meadowlarks thrown in.
We  next made a circuit of Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area. We located Bald
Eagles,  Eastern Meadowlarks, Red-headed Woodpeckers, Trumpeter Swan, lots of
Common  Yellowthroats and Indigo Buntings, Spotted Sandpiper, Lesser
Yellowlegs and a  lone Forster’s Tern which at first seemed like a great find
until we discovered  a pair of Sandhill Cranes with their colt. I at first
thought there was only the  two adults until I scoped them in and my first view
was a Sandhill sans the red  on the head. Then all three emerged in to the
sight  picture.
We  cut through the Delaware Wildlife Area on our way to my home grounds,
the Hoover  Nature Preserve. There we added more Red-headed Woodpeckers,
Yellow Warblers,  Baltimore Orioles and a few other expected species. At the
preserve we watched  the Osprey at the nest platform as they fed the
hatchlings. Then off to get  Logan his Prothonotary Warbler. Mission accomplished. We
added Yellow-billed  Cuckoo, Acadian Flycatcher, Wood Thrush, Spotted
Sandpiper and a few  others.
Our  last stop was at Hogback Ridge Preserve (Delaware County Preservation
Parks).  Acadian Flycatchers were everywhere; however the trail was
otherwise quite quiet  except for two Wood Ducks and a Green Heron. We were now out
of water and my old  bones were running out of energy.
Logan  added a nice group of birds to his Life List and additional birds to
his Ohio  List. I believe he considered the day to be a success. I know I
did as I got to  enjoy good birding (70+ species in late June) and great
company. Between Logan’s  enthusiasm and abilities I think we will hear more of
him in the  future.
Charlie  Bombaci
SPECIES  LIST
Pied-billed  Grebe