OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2011

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2011 14:53:16 -0400
What a wonderful morning - nothing better than good companionship and good birds, and I was fortunate to have both!  Judy W. joined me this morning to work the priority block 60D3NW, which includes much of the Tri-Valley Wildlife Area near Dresden, in Muskingum Co.

Here is the list, 63 in all:

turkey vulture
Cooper's hawk
wild turkey
northern bobwhite
mourning dove
yellow-billed cuckoo
chimney swift
red-bellied woodpecker
downy woodpecker
northern flicker - at the nest!
pileated woodpecker
eastern-wood-pewee
Acadian flycatcher
willow flycatcher
eastern phoebe
great-crested flycatcher
eastern kingbird
tree swallow
northern rough-winged swallow
barn swallow
cedar waxwing - on the nest!
house wren
gray catbird
northern mockingbird
brown thrasher
eastern bluebird
wood thrush
American robin
Carolina chickadee
tufted titmouse
blue jay
American crow
European starling - at the nest hole!
house sparrow
white-eyed vireo
yellow-throated vireo
red-eyed vireo
American goldfinch
blue-winged warbler
yellow warbler
prairie warbler
ovenbird
common yellowthroat
hooded warbler
scarlet tanager
eastern towhee
chipping sparrow
field sparrow
Savannah sparrow
Henslow's sparrow
grasshopper sparrow
song sparrow
northern cardinal
rose-breasted grosbeak
blue grosbeak
bobolink
red-winged blackbird
eastern meadowlark
common grackle
brown-headed cowbird
Baltimore oriole
orchard oriole

I also thought I heard ring-necked pheasant and hairy woodpecker, for 65.  Not bad for a morning's birding, I'd say.

The highlight of the morning had to be a single large sycamore tree that held - count them - four nesting species:  Northern flicker (young poking heads out of cavity); cedar waxwings (pair carrying food to nestlings); starling (in and out of another cavity carrying food) and Baltimore oriole (female entering nest).  In addition, there was another unoccupied nest in the same tree, probably a robin's nest, but hard to tell for certain.

Judy got several Year Firsts and one Life Bird, and I got a couple of Muskingum Co. Life Firsts.  All in all, a great day, shortened only by the thunderstorm that hit around 11:30.

Margaret Bowman
Region 60 Coordinator, OBBA II