OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2011

Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2011 15:01:04 -0400

Today  I had the pleasure of sharing the golden jewels of the Hoover Nature
Preserve  with Leslie Sours. This was her first visit to the preserve and
after this  morning I doubt it will be her last.
Things  started slowly and I feared my guys and gals were not going to
cooperate, but  then the world around us turned golden-yellow and the rest of
the morning we  were always within sight and sound of Prothonotary Warblers.
My conservative  tally was 41 males. The females were busy with maternal
duties in the nest boxes  and cavities. Sometimes I think some of the males are
hams at heart as they seem  to go out of their way to show off when I have
guests at the preserve. We  observed them singing high and low; foraging in
the trees and bushes; gleaning  insects from near the water’s surface; and
chasing intruders from their  territory, including one bold male that chased
off a Red-bellied  Woodpecker.
We  walked to the end of the boardwalk to watch the Osprey. The female was
there and  the hatchlings were low and hidden. The male flew in with his
catch and up  popped three small heads. The triplets vied for their share and
ate with vigor  and a general lack of table manners. The male then flew off
and as we walked  back along the boardwalk on our way to the parking lot the
male swooped down in  the inlet next to the boardwalk and came up with a
fish. Later from the  advantage of Area N we watched one of the hatchlings rise
and flap his wings.  Someday in the future it will lift off from the nest
platform and begin its  exploration of the world around it.
I  then began Leslie's tour of the back-forty. We donned boots and began
down the  old roadbed stopping at the vernal pool to watch the resident PROW
as he  patrolled his territory. As we reached the edge of the reservoir we
were soon  surrounded by singing PROWs as we proceeded to where the path was
underwater. We  then headed off-trail following my nest box trail into the
swamp forest with  PROWs singing everywhere. We were disrupted by
Yellow-billed Cuckoos that mostly  teased us as they moved around in the dense foliage.
We then heard crows  sounding off as they were mobbing something ahead of
us. It turned out to be a  Barred Owl that alit from its perch and made a run
for it with the crows close  behind. Leslie then spotted some activity above
us that turned out to be a pair  of amorous Great Crested Flycatchers. They
provided us with great views as they  came even closer to us. They are
beautiful birds that all too often are hidden  in the upper branches. As we got
deeper into the back section of Area N the  PROWs got thicker and continued
to put on a delightful show for  us.
Leslie  spotted activity in a tree ahead of us and discovered a Tufted
Titmouse bringing  food to its nest cavity. Near them we found Red-bellied
Woodpecker feeding their  fledglings. There was considerable other activity
around us and we finished with  a nice group of birds for the morning and I have
listed them  below.
Charlie  Bombaci
Hoover  Nature Preserve
SPECIES  LIST