OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2011

Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2011 15:20:56 -0400
I spent the morning today with Russ Reynolds over at Ottawa Metro Park
over in Lima. While we were marveling at the sunrise, and waiting for
enough light for birds to be visible to our cameras, a GBH flew in and
started fishing close to us. Then we heard a Killdeer Kree-ing in the
distance.

Then the sun just lit up the sky and it was great to just stop and
gawk...and photograph of course:
http://sjlarue.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Scenic/16471834_BdDhVc#1453844939_D8kXZJQ-A-LB

Then as quick as it lit up, it was over, and the birds began to wake
up.  Our "golden bird" for the day; an Osprey, flew in, started shopping
around for a nice tasty fish, grabbed his breakfast, and left.:
http://sjlarue.smugmug.com/Unsorted/OhioBirds/16108559_K6usy#1453842685_XqQ7xJr-A-LB

We had glimpses of a Northern Waterthrush in the weeds.   A couple of
Goldfinches were out and about. Mourning doves were everywhere, and a
Ring-billed Gull flew in and out of the area. There were a couple of
other birdy shadows that didn't want to come out and be recognized.  We
did not venture to the other side of the lake due primarily to time, but
there was a lot of birdsong coming from that side of the lake. The final
bird for the morning at the reservoir was a Belted Kingfisher on the
dead snag right by the lake's edge.

On my way home On SR 309 I spotted a Red Tailed Hawk out on a snag
looking for a meal and a Kestrel out on a wire doing the same :-D.

Have a Great Day, and God Bless.

Steve J.

(aka sjlarue)
sjlarue.smugmug.com