OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2011

From:
Dan Best <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 6 Nov 2011 20:53:25 -0500
Doug:

What you witnessed was an example of klepto-parasitism: one kind of
bird or animal letting another do the work and they snatch the reward.

I was introduced to this term early last spring by Roger Troutman.  He
responded to my similar list serv inquiry but in this case it was
gadwalls, as non-diving dabblers, helping themselves to the aquatic
vegetation that the diving coots were bringing up at WC Best Wildlife
Preserve here in Chardon.  Check out what Wikipedia has to say about
it for further information and examples.

Dan Best