OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jan 2012 10:19:03 -0500
Fellow feeder watchers,

     This morning there were THREE Chipping Sparrows at my feeder station.
 1-3 Chippies have been present all month.  Nice winter treat.

     The real treat, however, has been the woodpecker show.  In addition to
the numerous Downy's present all the time, along with the three or four
Red-bellies, there has been a pair of Hairy's and a pair of Yellow-bellied
sapsuckers.  The Sapsuckers are especially nice, as I don't see much of
them except in winter. The suet feeders are quite close to the sunroom
windows, so I've even gotten great photos. There has also been one Flicker
who shows up every day of so.  To top that off, there was a Pileated
woodpecker on the ground behind the feeders this morning.  I see it about
every three days.  All in all, a great woodpecker show.  Add the two Brown
creepers, the white breasted nuthatches, and all the regular suspects and
it makes for a great January.  With exactly one Starling, one Grackle, and
one Cowbird (the perfect number for these species), the January yard list
now stands at an impressive 41 species.

     The number of guest birders (homo sapiens) stands at one.  Others
welcome.

joe in the woods
Somerset, Ohio
Perry County