OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Nikki Linkous <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nikki Linkous <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jan 2012 12:23:06 -0500
I spent about 3 hours at Greenlawn Cemetary yesterday and was lucky enough to run into Ohio Bird friends Pam and Jeff- thank you for chatting with me!

Disclaimer: I am an avid birder but since I do not have anyone to confirm with (or anyone relying on my accurate ID), I am not as confident in all of my identifications.  When I do run into fellow birders, I am always asking questions and trying to learn from them- so thanks to those of you who have shared your knolwedge with me. I have a good eye and ear for finding birds but once I see them, it is not always easy to narrow down the species.  So, with that said, I will share what I am confident about and describe what I saw and where that I wasnt sure about.
A good bit of time was spent at the pond watching the juncos and white throated sparrow battle it out with the cardinals for the seeds on the ground. Other notables at the pond:

Carolina wrens
white breasted nuthatches
red-bellied woodpeckers
downy woodpeckers
american goldfinches
 I spotted a couple of red tailed hawks while driving around as well.
After talking to Pam and Jeff, they directed me to the northwest corner of Greenlawn.  My sense of direction gets turned around in there but I ended up at the Green Lawn gardens mausoleum where I found a few other species.  I definitely identified:

1 red headed woodpecker on a barren tree about 50 feet in front of the mausoleum
2 hairy woodpeckers
juncos
blue jay
yellow-bellied sapsucker

now for the questionables:
there was a small flock (5-7) of tiny finch like birds in the tree behind the mausoleum.  They were nibbling on seeds in the branches and flitted away when I got close.  They returned about 10 minutes later but were too high for me to see anything but there underparts.  They were dull olive or grayish yellow with a v-shaped tail and tiny bill.  I thought possibly the pine siskin but there was no streaking on the breast.  I am leaning towards Ruby Crowned Kinglet?

Any thoughts?   Nikki